Chunky Knit Fabric – Denim
This is a fantastic heavy weight cotton mix knitted fabric. Ideal for chunky sweaters, cardigans, poncho style cover ups, scarves or even blankets!
It has a modest comfort stretch, but due to the knit structure the recovery is a little slow so it would be best to stick to garments that have a looser fit and not put it under too much strain.
As this is a new fabric for us, we ran a few tests and trials and have put together some handy tips for working with this knit:
- Be sure to stitch or overlock raw edges before preaching to prevent unwanted unravelling.
- Pre wash at 30 degrees or less and air dry as flat as possible avoiding any excessive draping – you don’t want this fabric to stretch out under the weight of it drying.
- As this is quite a thick fabric, use a sharp pair of scissors or rotary cutter and cut pieces singly where possible.
- Use a larger needle size on your machine (a size 90 ballpoint/stretch needle is ideal).
- Make sure you test stitch length on your machine on some scrap pieces. When stitching or overlocking several layers together you may need to help feed this fabric through your machine.
- Press seams and hems with lots of steam – this should get rid of any unwanted waviness.
Weight: Approx 500gsm
24.00 m in stock